07 March, 2008

The Happiest Baby- Today? Not So Much...


This is a picture of Eric from about 2 months ago. I put this hat on him to go outside. You know, cold weather. Warm hat. Good mommy taking care of baby. So you'd think. Take another look at the expression on that face. He hated it.

Eric hates hats. Hates 'em. Don't know why, unless it's just that he doesn't like things being pressed down on his head. OK, guess that's it. Other things he doesn't like: Putting his arms through long sleeves. Getting strapped into the carseat or stroller. I have no idea why, though I suppose in his little baby brain he thinks that the less-than-five seconds that his arms are "restrained" is a period of time that will last into perpetuity. I guess I'd panic, too.

So, in the last five and a half months (ee gads! that long?) I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what Eric wants or doesn't want. I'm kind of proud of that. I feel competent and secure and just pretty good about myself in that regard. Then a day like today comes along, and I wonder, "What in the world...?"

Eric was one unhappy camper today. Wouldn't take a nap, didn't want to be held too much. Enjoyed being in his exersaucer and bumper jumper, but didn't want "tummy time" or anything to do with his activity center or whatever it's called. Was excited about breakfast and dinner and ate well. No fever. Maybe getting another tooth. I don't know.... The poor guy. To top it all off, he wouldn't fall asleep as easily as usual.

Poor me! I was looking forward to lunch with a new friend (ahh, bliss) and had to cancel. I needed to clean the apartment- that didn't go well, either. I had little energy for dinner, and Friday night dinner is my specialty. [Michael and I aren't super-religious, but Shabbat dinner is our sacred time together each week, complete with challah, candles and kiddush (er, not in that order!)] Then tonight after dinner, Michael was taking a friend to the movies and I was looking forward to stretching out on the couch- instead, it took an hour for Eric to settle in and fall asleep. Oh well. He finally did. And now, I'm ready to put on some chick TV (What Not to Wear) and chill.

It's still a good night. It wasn't a terrible day, anyway. I did get a lot done, the house looks great, dinner was awesome, and I'll get to have lunch with Erica next week. After any hard day, I remember that tomorrow promises to be different.

Tomorrow is Saturday- We'll go to shul. I'll get to be with my two favorite men in the whole world. And, Michael and I are going out to dinner. Eric will get to be with Grandma.

No comments: