06 March, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4, Favre


No Brett? No Grizzly Ol' Favre? How can it be?


This year, I finally claimed loyalty to a team. For the last few football seasons that I've been married, I really grew to love football. Michael and I watched every game we could and enjoyed every minute of it.


I used to like football before, but I never declared loyalty to any particular team- not even any of the NY teams. I loved seeing the Jets or Giants win. I even liked the Cowboys and liked seeing them win. But this year was different. I chose Green Bay as my favorite. Done. I had a team.


I'm not the most knowledgeable about football in general- I still ask Michael a dozen questions a game (at least) about different rules or calls- I still don't even know all the different positions on defensive and offensive teams. But I do know quarterback- and Brett Favre was number 1 for me.


What a great player to watch- on and off the field. A guy of class, in my opinion- quiet personal life, no scandals, no divorces, no leaving a pregnant girlfriend for someone else, no nothin'. Just a star quarterback who led his team to two Superbowls and defeated all 31 other current NFL teams (only the third QB to do so). There's so much more. You can read more about Brett here and the Packers here. It's exciting to have seen so much of (who I think to be) the greatest football player of my lifetime.

I know Brett Favre will go on to something else. I'll wait to hear what he has to say at his press conference later today, but I imagine he won't retire "quietly." I imagine he'll continue to give of his time and resources to help others, as he's done up until now. He'll be around....


We'll miss you, Brett.

1 comment:

doug... said...

A worthy pick for a favorite player and team! Who wouldn't love a professional team from a city of just over 100 thousand people!?
Don't give up on the Packers, though, Karen! Aaron Rodgers is a worthy replacement, and although I'll miss Brett (hell, he's all I've ever known growing up in Wisconsin) I think that the Packers in in better shape than they've been in years.