What an incredible shock the other day....
I was talking to my friend, Erica, and she asked if I'd heard about our governor. I hadn't, so she told me he was resigning and it was amidst allegations of ties to prostitution. I was dumbstruck. To say the least.
As it was, he wasn't resigning, but with his wife by his side, he admitted to "failings" and ''wrongdoings" etc, etc. I can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel. I was taken for a fool.
And I sure feel like one.
Mr. Spitzer showed incredible promise. He was exciting to watch as the NYS Attorney General. All I could think was, "Get those corrupt guys!" When he ran for governor, Michael and I were excited by the prospect of "Bringing passion back to Albany." It was a new dawn, a new era. It gave us some hope in the dark years of the Bush administration. Spitzer was elected by a landslide. So much so that I almost felt sorry for his opponent.
So, Spitzer was inaugurated. The first year came. And went. [chirp, chirp, chirp]
Uh, hello? Anything going on up there? In Albany, I mean? I'm not feeling any "passion" here- I'm not seeing things getting done. I hear more about Governor Corzine in NJ than I do about Governor Spitzer. Now we know what was going on... and man, has it left me discouraged.
Discouraged to the point of looking at my favorite presidential candidate with great skepticism. Looking at every politician with great skepticism. After all, they are politicians. I can't even watch TV. I'm usually a news junkie- I love checking in on MSNBC (especially Morning Joe) or catching up locally with NY1 News. But today, it's all making me sick. And angry. And completely apathetic about the upcoming presidential election. There truly doesn't seem to be any good being done by anyone in politics. Everyone is out for themselves and for more money.
Most recently it was reported that there are traceable amounts of drugs in water supplies across America. Why is that okay? And why did that even happen? What is going on here? It makes me so angry, I can't even get together my thoughts about it. And why is the middle class struggling so much? Why are the wealthy just getting richer and richer and richer? And why is it, that if a couple make over $100,000 they aren't considered middle class? In NYC, that isn't much at all. At. All. It's all too discouraging to think about.
I hope things turn around. I have to hope they will, because who can live with such disappointment day after day and not have hope? It has to get better. I hope that David Paterson can be a successful governor- that he will passionately lead this state to better things. I hope that CEOs who run their companies into the ground will stop getting $100 million bonuses when they're "let go." I hope that the middle class will stop bearing the brunt of the poor and wealthy. I hope someone truly good ends up in the White House. I hope the world will be a better place for my son. Starting now.
No comments:
Post a Comment